I am doing basic research that includes field work done overseas; does my research qualify under the Fundamental Research Exclusion? *

Your work outside the United States is ineligible for the Fundamental Research exclusion.  To qualify as Fundamental Research, research must be conducted at an accredited institution of higher education located in the United States.  If your research includes work done outside the U.S., then you are ineligible for the exclusion.  The Fundamental Research exemption applies even if such research and informational exchanges are being conducted abroad at an institution that is affiliated with Harvard.  This does not mean, however, that export licenses will be required.  Rather, it means that an export-control determination needs to be made before the exchanges can occur.  Contact your Compliance Officer for assistance in making that determination.