International Shipping

Research collaboration often involves the sharing of research materials, including biological samples, chemicals, reagents, research prototypes, and research equipment, including laptops to lasers.  The transport and exchange of research materials may be subject to strict regulatory requirements related to the health and safety of shipping carriers and the public, international sanctions, protection of intellectual property, and export controls.

The U.S. government actively regulates, and in some cases, restricts the export of certain items and information, including technologies that it deems critical to the interests of national security, the economy, and foreign policy.  Thus, in addition to consulting EH&S regarding the safe transport or shipment of chemicals, biologicals, radioactive materials, or radiation generating devices, you may must consult your School or Institute Export Control Administrator to determine if an export license is required to ship or hand-carry such materials internationally.  Additionally, export control regulations apply to a broader array of research samples, components, items and equipment, so it is important to consult your School or Institute Export Control Administrator prior to shipping or taking ANY research items or equipment abroad.

Shipping/Carrying Materials Overseas:

  • Any item that is sent from the United States to a foreign destination is an export.  “Items” may include biological materials, chemicals, research equipment, software, technology, and information. 
  • The export of controlled items, technology, information or software may require approval from the U.S. government in the form of an export license.  An export license permits controlled tangible items or software to be sent outside the U.S. or controlled information or software to be shared with foreign persons in the U.S. or abroad.  If a license is required to ship an item or technology, it is also required to hand-carry the item outside of the U.S.