Requesting Information Regarding Financial Conflicts of Interest Related to Public Health Service-Funded Research
Harvard University is committed to overseeing the conduct of research in a manner that ensures the integrity of the research process and maintains the public trust and that of the sponsors in the integrity and the credibility of its faculty, its staff, and its research programs. Harvard's Policy on Individual Financial Conflicts of Interest for Persons Holding Faculty and Teaching Appointments (pdf) described the University's commitment and procedures related to the identification and management of conflicts of interest. Additional information can be found on the website of the Vice Provost for Research.
Please note that the Harvard Medical School is responsible for the oversight of its own conflict of interest program. Request for information about identified conflicts of interest of Medical School faculty must be directed to the Medical School and not to the Office of the Vice Provost for Research. Information about the program and how to make a request for information is available at http://ari.hms.harvard.edu/.
Harvard ensures public accessibility of certain information regarding identified conflicts of interest with funding received from agencies of the US Public Health Service (PHS) including the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Information is publicly available, via a written response within 5 business days upon receipt of a request as detailed below, of information concerning a Significant Financial Interest (SFI) disclosed to the University that meets the following criteria:
- The individual for whom information is sought, is identified by the University in the grant application, progress report, or any other required report submitted to the PHS as senior/key personnel on an active PHS grant or cooperative agreement for which a notice of award was issued on or after August 24, 2012;
- The SFI is still held by the senior/key personnel individual for the PHS-funded research project;
- A determination has been made that the SFI is related to the PHS-funded research; and
- A determination has been made that the SFI is a Financial Conflict of Interest (fCOI)
Instructions for Requesting Information Regarding fCOIs Related to PHS-Funded Research at Harvard Schools except the Harvard Medical School:
1. Complete form for each SFI for which you are seeking information. Incomplete forms will not be considered and will not be responded to.
3. Alternatively, you can print the completed form, sign, and send it by regular mail to:
Office of the Vice Provost for Research
Attention: Conflict of Interest Coordinator
Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center
1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 836
Cambridge, MA 02138
The Office of the Vice Provost for Research will respond via email to the email address provided in the form. If a paper copy is required, please enclose a self-addressed postage paid envelope. Mailed responses will be postmarked no later than five (5) business days after receiving a valid request (as detailed above) at the email address or mailing address provided above.